PhD position at PTB in Berlin available
At the Berlin-Adlershof site, the German national metrology institute PTB uses synchrotron radiation of the electron storage rings Metrology Light Source (MLS) and BESSY II for metrology on its beamlines.
In the department "X-ray Metrology and Synchrotron Radiation", the following position is to be filled as soon as possible:
PhD student (m/f/d)
in the field of battery characterisation with X-ray spectrometry
limited to three years.
- Operando characterisation of new cathode materials for lithium-sulphur batteries with high-resolution X-ray absorption and emission spectrometry.
- Characterisation of new instrumentation for X-ray spectrometry with synchrotron radiation
- Independent conception and execution of X-ray spectrometric measurements and further development of experimental procedures
- Evaluation of measurement data and further development of evaluation methods and programmes
- Cooperation with partners in the associated DFG project in sample specification and preparation, measurements and discussion of results
- Presentation of research results at national and international conferences and workshops
- Completed university studies (diploma/master's degree) in physics, chemistry or a related natural science or engineering discipline with a strong interest in physical experiments and modelling with an above-average degree.
- Knowledge and practical experience in at least one of the following fields: Synchrotron radiation research, X-ray spectroscopy, atomic physics, molecular physics and electrochemistry.
- Good programming skills (e.g. Python, IDL, Matlab) as well as interest in developing experimental set-ups and in conducting and interpreting complex experiments
- Willingness to learn, commitment and ability to work independently and in a structured manner
- Interest in the further development of measurement technology on an experimental and methodological level
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
- Good knowledge of German and English
- Willingness to travel on business at home and abroad
- World-leading research institution with excellent infrastructure
- Intensive doctoral supervision by an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent national and international networking of the department and participation in several coordinated research projects
- Flexible work opportunities
For further information check the PTB website.
This entry was posted on Friday, May 14th, 2021 a 04:07 pm.