Two Ph.D. positions at PTB in Berlin available
At the Berlin-Adlershof site, the German national metrology institute PTB uses synchrotron radiation of the electron storage rings Metrology Light Source (MLS) and BESSY II for metrology on its beamlines.
In the department "X-ray Metrology and Synchrotron Radiation", the following two positions are to be filled as soon as possible:
PhD students (m/f/d) in the field of X-ray spectrometry
limited to three years
The focus of the first position is Operando characterization of new cathode materials for lithium-sulfur batteries with high-resolution X-ray absorption and emission spectrometry.
The focus of the second position is X-ray spectrometry for environmental analysis, determination of element-specific composition and chemical bonding state for aerosol and particulate matter monitoring
- Characterization of new instrumentation for X-ray spectrometry with synchrotron radiation
- Independent conception and execution of X-ray spectrometric measurements and further development of experimental procedures
- Evaluation of measurement data and further development of evaluation methods and programs
- Cooperation with partners in the associated DFG or EMPIR project for sample specification and preparation, measurements, and discussion of results
- Presentation of the research results at national and international conferences and workshops
- Master or diploma with an above-average degree in physics, chemistry or a related natural science or engineering discipline with a strong interest in physical experiments and modeling
- Knowledge and practical experience in at least one of the following areas: Synchrotron radiation research, X-ray spectroscopy, atomic physics, molecular physics, and electrochemistry
- Good programming skills (e.g., Python, IDL, Matlab) and interest in the development of experimental setups and in performing and interpreting of complex experiments
- Willingness to learn, commitment, and ability to work independently in a structured manner
- Interest in the further development of measurement techniques on an experimental and methodological level
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
- Good knowledge of German and English
- Willingness to travel on business at home and abroad
- World-leading research institution with excellent infrastructure
- Intensive doctoral supervision by an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent national and international networking of the department and participation in several coordinated research projects
- Flexible work opportunities
For further information check the PTB website.
This entry was posted on Monday, January 18th, 2021 a 05:49 pm.