Two Ph.D. positions at PTB in Berlin available
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the national metrology institute of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks, and it promotes progress and reliability in metrology for society, economy, and science.
In Berlin-Adlershof, PTB uses synchrotron radiation from the electron storage rings Metrology Light Source (MLS) and BESSY II for metrological applications at its beamlines.
In the department "X-ray Metrology with Synchrotron Radiation"
two Ph.D. student (m/f/d) positions in the field of physics
are to be filled at the earliest possible date. The positions are each limited to three years.
The focus of the first position: Operando characterization of new cathode materials for lithium-sulfur batteries with high-resolution X-ray absorption and emission spectrometry
The focus of the second position: X-ray spectrometry for environmental analysis, determination of element-specific composition and chemical binding state for aerosol and fine dust monitoring
field of activity:
- Characterization of new instrumentation for X-ray spectrometry with synchrotron radiation
- Independent conception and execution of X-ray spectrometric measurements and further development of experimental procedures
- Evaluation of measurement data and further development of evaluation methods and programs
- Cooperation with partners in the associated DFG or EMPIR project in sample specification and preparation, measurements, and discussion of the results
- Presentation of research results at national and international conferences and workshops
- Master's or diploma with an above-average degree in physics, chemistry, or a related field of natural sciences with a strong interest in physical experiments and modeling
- Knowledge and practical experience in at least one of the following areas: Research with synchrotron radiation, X-ray spectroscopy, atomic physics, molecular physics, and electrochemistry
- good programming skills (e.g., Python, IDL, Matlab) as well as interest in the development of experimental setups and the execution and interpretation of complex experiments
- Willingness to learn, commitment, and ability to work independently and in a structured manner
- Interest in the further development of measurement technology on an experimental and methodical level
- Strong teamwork and communication skills as well as good German and English language skills
- Willingness to travel on business at home and abroad
For further professional information on this position, please see PTB's website.
This entry was posted on Sunday, October 18th, 2020 a 12:24 pm.